-

Thursday, July 15, 2021

PHRASAL VERBS : GROUP 2

-

 

Group 2 - Special Meanings

 

OUT = all gone = hết, không còn, tắt, (dập) tắt

 

be out of            

I’m sorry. We are out of time.   

run out

My battery is running out. I need a charger.       

run out of           

We ran out of time so we couldn’t do all the tasks.          

sell out

The tickets sold out within 30  minutes.                          

die out 

Mammoths died out more than 10 000 years ago.            

go out  

The fire will go out if you don’t add some wood.              

put  out               

The firefighters worked hard to put the fire out.              

                               

OUT = known, clear, understood, organized  = (tìm) ra, (hóa) ra, sắp xếp lại, (lựa) ra, (nghĩ) ra, (chỉ) ra, (nhận) ra

 

Find  out              =  biết, phát hiện ra

Yesterday I found out that my friend is going to get married.      

turn  out              = hóa ra

The test turned out to be easier than I expected.            

find __  out         = tìm hiểu

I want to find out more about it.              

sort __  out         = sắp xếp lại, cái gì ra cái đó

My life is a mess! I need to sort it out!    (mess  = mớ hỗn độn)

sort __  out         = giải quyết

I have to sort out a lot of things for the wedding.             

figure __out       = nghĩ  ra,  tìm ra được

I have figured out a way to fix it.              

point __out          = chỉ ra (cho thấy)

The guide pointed out lots of interesting things.               

make __ out      =  có thể thấy, nghe, đọc, phân biệt được cái gì đó dù khó

I can just make out the shape of a building in the distance.

               

OFF = start moving = rởi đi, bỏ chạy, khởi hành, cất cánh, ra đi, bắt đầu, phát ra, tiễn đưa         

 

be  off         

I need to be off now. I can’t stay any longer.      

run  off         

The children ran off when they saw the guard. 

set  off         

We set off as soon as it got light.                                                              

take  off         

I am always a bit scared when the plane takes off.          

kick  off         

The match kicked off at 15:00.   

go off         

The fire alarm went off so we had to stop the lesson.    

set __ off         

If you smoke in the toilet it will set off the fire alarm.     

see __ off         

My parents came to the station to see me off.  

 

ON = working/happening,

OFF = not working/not happening

 

be on          

The lights are still on in the office.           

be off         

All the lights were off when I got there.               

be on          

Is the meeting on tomorrow?   

be off         

The game is off because the pitch is frozen.       

go on          

There’s always something going on in my town.                                                               

switch __on      

Oh no! I forgot to switch on the washing machine!          

switch __off      

Don’t forget to switch off the lights when you leave.     

put __ on          

We want to put on a great show!            

call __ off         

We had to call off the festival because not enough tickets were sold.     

put __ off         

When I don’t want to do something I put it off until the last minute.                                       

 

ON = forward (onward)               

 

go on    

The man looked up and then went on reading his book.               

get on  

My parents don’t get on with my boyfriend.      

carry on               

Keep calm and carry on working.             

keep on

I keep on forgetting that word!

move on             

Let's move on to the next task.

come on             

Come on!!! You can do it!           

pass __ on         

Can you pass on a message for me?       

 

 

www.learnenglishteam.com

No comments: