-

Saturday, October 26, 2013

Adventures Abroad - English Conversation by Andrew Claridge. Unit 1: At the Travel Agent

-



Unit 1
AT THE TRAVEL AGENT

Arranging a Trip

Agent: Good morning, sir. How can I help you?
Martin: Well, I  have some time off from work next month and I was thinking of going to Australia.
A: That sounds great. How long is your vacation?
M: Just one week. My last day at work is the 26th of July and I go back on the 5th of August.
A: OK. Here's our Sydney brochure. Have a look and see if there's a hotel that you like.
M: Oh! This one is good, the Four Seasons Hotel. It's expensive but I've been told it's very nice.
A: Yes, it's a very high-class hotel. I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay there. Would you like me to make the booking now, sir?
M: Yes. please.

Giving Personal Information

A: I just need to take some information. What's your full name?
M: Martin Andrew White.
A: And your address?
M: 11 Soi Charoen Nakhon Khlong San, Bangkok.
A: And your telephone number?
M: 0-2 6-2-4 9-7-3-4.
A: Do you have a daytime number I can call if necessary?
M: Uh huh ... 0-2 7-7-7 1-2-1-2.
A: That's fine. Will you be travelling alone, Mr White?
M: Yup, just me.
A: OK. You finish work on Friday the 26th. So, shall I try to book your flight for the next day?
M: Yes, please. And a return flight on Saturday, the 3rd of August.

Booking a Flight

A: I'll just check the availability. There are seats available on this Qantas Airways flight, but there is a three-hour stopover in Singapore.
M: Is there a direct flight that I can take?
A: Yes, Malaysian Airways. That flight departs at seven o'clock on Saturday morning and arrives at Sydney at six thirty p.m. local time.
M: That sounds better, but it's a little longer than I thought.
A: Well, it's a eight-hour long flight. Don't forget the time difference. All the time given are local times.
M: Oh, yes, that's right. They're three hours ahead, aren't they? Can I have the details of the return flight?
A: Certainly. That flight departs at six p.m. and arrives in Bangkok at eleven fifteen on that same night. Shall I reserve a seat for you?
M: Yes, please.

Making a Hotel Reservation

A: Now, let’s reserve a room for you at the Four Seasons. Do you want a single or a double room?
M: Oh, a single room will be fine, thanks. Will it have a view of the harbor?
A: Oh, yes, all rooms have harbor views. They have a room available. Shall I make the confirmation?
M: Yes, go ahead.
A: OK. So, now you have a room available at the Four Seasons fron Saturday, the 27th of July until Saturday, the 3rd of August.
M: That’s great. Can I pay by credit card?
A: No problem. So, it is sixty-two thousand baht, including your flight.
M: OK. Here ‘s my card. When will I be able to collect my ticket?
A: It should be ready in a couple of days. I can can call you at work if you’d like.
M: Thanks very much.

Adventures Abroad - English Conversation by Andrew Claridge - 1-53

No comments: