-

Monday, March 30, 2026

Phrasal English - Either / Neither

-

 🔹 1. “Either” (in negative sentences)


👉 Use either to agree with a negative sentence.


✅ Structure:


Subject + don’t/doesn’t + verb … either


📌 Examples:

• I don’t like coffee.

→ I don’t like coffee either.

• She isn’t coming.

→ I’m not coming either.

• He doesn’t understand.

→ I don’t understand either.


💡 Meaning = “also not”


⸻


🔹 2. “Neither” (short reply)


👉 Use neither to agree with a negative sentence (more formal).


✅ Structure:


Neither + helping verb + subject


📌 Examples:

• I don’t like coffee.

→ Neither do I

• She isn’t ready.

→ Neither is he

• They can’t swim.

→ Neither can we


💡 Meaning = “not me too”


🎯 Simple Trick

• Full sentence → use either

• Short reply → use neither


⸻


🧠 Quick Practice


Fill the blanks:

1. I don’t watch TV. → I don’t watch TV ______

2. He isn’t ready. → ______ am I

3. She doesn’t eat junk food. → I don’t eat it ______


👉 Try answering, I’ll check for you 👍

No comments: