-

Wednesday, June 19, 2024

A List of Common Idioms - Thành ngữ tiếng Anh thông dụng + Từ điển thành ngữ

-

 

A List of Common Idioms

 

Idiom

Example

What it means

Keep your chin up

It’s hard to keep your chin up

when everything is going wrong.

Remain cheerful in a difficult

situation

In hot water

Joey was in hot water after he broke Mrs. Smith’s window.

In trouble

On the back burner

I put baseball practice on the back burner while I studied for

the test.

Delayed until later

Put your best foot forward

Mom always encourages me to put my best foot forward on first

day of school.

Leave a good first impression

Hit the books

We’re having a test tomorrow, so I’m going to hit the books

tonight.

Study

Cool as a cucumber

Kelly was cool as cucumber when she told the teacher that

her dog ate her homework.

Calm, not nervous

Piece of cake

Learning to dive is a piece of

cake.

Very easy

Wade through

Our teacher gave us so much homework it took me four hours

to wade through it all!

Work on a difficult or lengthy task

Butterflies in my stomach

I always get butterflies in my

stomach before a big game.

A nervous, fluttery feeling in the

stomach

Be in the same boat

With us both sick, we are in the

same boat

Be in the same bad situation as

someone else

Cost an arm and a leg

Ta mar’s new dress cost an arm

and a leg!

Be extremely expensive

Hold your horses

“Hold your horses!” said Mom as I reached for a cookie. “They are

still too hot to eat.”

Stop or wait

Pulling someone’s leg

When Uncle Bert said he used to be a pirate, he was just pulling

my leg.

Teasing someone

Spill the beans

Don’t spill the beans to Dan about his surprise birthday

party!

Tell a secret

Get off someone’s back

Dad won’t get off my back until I

take out the trash.

Stop nagging or reminding

someone about something

Turn over a new leaf

Cissy promised to turn over a new leaf and keep her room

clean form now on.

Make a positive change in your behavior

All thumbs

When it comes to sewing, I’m all

thumbs.

Clumsy, or not very good at

doing something

 

Muốn học thêm English Idioms (Thành ngữ tiếng Anh), hãy mở từ điển thành ngữ sau:

 https://www.eslcafe.com/resources/idioms 

 


No comments: